When you need an easy, delicious, dairy-free (or not) last-minute Shabbat dessert, this chocolate brownie-like cake is your chocolatey best friend. Mix it up in no time in just one bowl and it's ready, start to finish, in under an hour.
Whether on a short Friday afternoon in midwinter, or a lazy summer Friday, or just any old Friday that got away from you, as Fridays are wont to do, this is your savior cake: easy, lightning fast, and absolutely everyone likes it. Less than hour start to finish, mixed all in one bowl, basic pantry ingredients, and you're good for Shabbat dessert. The recipe originates in my mom's old recipe notebook and I've tweaked it just a bit (the original calls for an Israeli 200-gram block of butter-flavored margarine, natch). The cake it makes is like a big, sliceable, cakey-but-just-slightly-gooey brownie cake that manages to disappear by weekend's end at our house. For fanciness, make it in a springform pan (this one is similar to my beloved glass-bottomed silicone, shown in the photo below, far right); or make it homey in a square (8"x8" / 20x20 cm) pan. It will take longer to bake in a springform, hence the relatively large variance in the bake time; for a square pan, start checking it at 20-25 minutes.
A truly last-minute chocolate cake
Okay, put ten minutes on the clock, barely long enough to preheat the oven. Into the microwave go a stick of butter or margarine and a bar of chocolate (right around 4 oz / 100 g). Melt in 30-second increments, then mix in sugar and oil. Vanilla is optional and not included in my mom's original recipe, not even vanilla sugar. Then the dry ingredients go in right on top, stir stir stir, and into a greased pan and the hot oven it goes.
Looking for more easy cakes?
- Israeli Apple Cake (parve)
- Israeli Coffee Cake (parve)
- Israeli Poppy Seed Cake with Chocolate Ganache (dairy or parve)
An-Hour-Before-Shabbat Chocolate Brownie Cake (dairy or parve)
- ½ cup butter or margarine - 1 stick - 115 g
- ¼ cup oil - 60 ml
- 4 oz chocolate - 1 bar - 100 g
- 1 cup sugar - 200 g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - optional
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - 125 g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a round or square cake pan (8"-9" / 20-22 cm).
- In a large mixing bowl in the microwave, melt together the butter/margarine and chocolate.
- To the bowl, add the oil, vanilla if using, and sugar. Stir, then mix in the eggs.
- Add in the flour, baking powder if using, and salt. Stir to combine. Batter will be thick.
- Pour/pat into prepared pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes.